Special Education Coordinator
Job location:7429 Tuckaseegee Rd. Charlotte, NC 28214
Job type:Full-Time Compensation: Competitive salary based on experience, Retirement Plan, Health Insurance, Optional 403b, etc.
Job category:10 month
Job description:Ability to work collaboratively with Principal/CEO to implement and monitor special education programs; ability to work in a supportive, collaborative role with staff in all departments and offices; ability to interface with other departments to coordinate reciprocal services for achieving special education goals; ability to interpret and remain current on all federal, state, and local mandates for special education and Section 504 services and to ensure that the school is in compliance; handle confidential information discretely and professionally; use discretion and exercise sound judgment; exceptional public relations/interpersonal skills to respond to parents and advocacy groups and to serve as the school’s lead representative/contact person of programs for special needs students; effective management, supervisory, team-building, and problem solving skills
- Assume responsibility for Child Find activities including the coordination of all schools’ referral activities and preschool screenings.
- Collaborate with administrators regarding the discipline of students with disabilities.
- Assist with interviewing special education staff members; supervise and evaluate all daily activities of staff members relative to assigned tasks; reassign operational responsibilities of staff members as necessary to provide opportunities for cross-training and growth.
- Facilitate and/or participate in all matters of dispute resolution with the NC Department of Public Instruction and the Office for Civil Rights pertaining to students with disabilities; manage mediation and due process procedures.
- Provide accurate and timely data to the NC Department of Public Instruction for evaluating outcomes for students with disabilities.
- Develop, monitor, supervise and manage all aspects of the annual budgets for special education and audiology services; coordinate budget requests with individual schools relative to instructional programs.
- Coordinate the implementation of federal and state grant applications and manage appropriate IDEA grants.
- Review federal and state legislation/regulations related to special education; identify and share the impact of changes on the school.
- Monitor compliance with School Board Policies and Regulations and work with the School Board attorneys and school administration to develop required policy changes.
- Maintain open lines of communication regarding special education with all interested parties; respond to concerns of parents, teachers, administrators, and community members.
- Maintain accurate database and files of former and current students served in special education.
- Maintain a permanent inventory of equipment available to students with disabilities and all equipment and materials purchased by the school division for special education.
- Prepare reports and information for the school board including the Special Education Annual Plan and the application for federal funds.
- Facilitate research regarding trends and best practices to support appropriate recommendations for student success through rigorous, innovative, and technological programming.
- Advise on the design, furnishings, and equipment for special education classrooms and facilities.
- Plan, implement and facilitate professional development/in-services for school staff assigned the responsibility of delivering and overseeing the special education services/process in their buildings.
- Engage all new staff members in effective induction procedures and facilitate continued professional development through ongoing training opportunities.
- Plan and implement professional development for staff
- Serve as the school’s liaison in all matters concerning special education
- Perform all duties assigned by Principal/CEO.
Education, training, experience:
- NC Special Education Certification
- Masters Degree in Special Education/Education
- 5 years experience as a Special Education Educator in NC Schools Preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of Mandarin or Foreign Language Immersion Not Required
East Voyager Academy of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.